The modern designation of Evergreen refers to two parcels of land historically known as Evergreen and West Evergreen. It was the first development in this area and greatly antedated Roland Park. The entire area is enclosed by Oakdale Road on the north, Stony Run Park on the east, Cold Spring Lane on the south, and Maynadier Lane on the west.
In 1813 a Cockey family heir inherited 264 acres of the original colonial tract called "Ridgely's Whim." This property included all that was to become Evergreen. In 1864 Mrs. Fendall sold 20 of these acres to Allen A. Chapman. This land was bounded by Mrs. Jones "Cedar Park," by Kyles family land, and by an avenue 30 feet wide. Two men named Brooks and Barton bought this and three other parcels from Mrs. Chapman in 1873. Soon after, the property was "developed".
In West Evergreen the Victorian, often 14-foot wide houses were built on approximately 90 lots. The Evergreen property was subdivided into about 170 smaller lots that fronted on the three side streets.. Some of these were later combined and resubdivided to face Wilmslow Road.
By 1898 about 25% of the building lots had been improved, a few with stone and brick structures. The Evergreen Methodist Episcopal Church had been built at the north end of Cedar, and a public school existed on Schenley Road. An Electric Light Co. was in operation at the east end of Kendall Rd. near the Baltimore and Lehigh Railroad (which eventually became the Ma & Pa).
Evergreen is historically significant because it was the earliest suburban development in this large area of numerous estates.. It was a rare example of early non-row house suburban style, albeit modest homes. Legend has it that Evergreen’s mostly frame, narrow, individual buildings, were occupied by the builders and tradesmen who served Roland Park during its major period of construction from about 1895-1910.